At Cut Throat Knives we continually strive to be a leader in design, innovation, and sustainability.
To that end we want to share with you the steps that we are taking to be as eco-friendly as possible while also recognizing that as producers and makers we ultimately leave a mark on the world.
The goal of this is two-fold.
- we believe that through radical transparency we can ultimately make better products and leave our customers with a better understanding of what their purchase means.
- we hope that the information that we share can both be inspiration for other to shift their production methods but also be a valuable resource for those wanting to become more eco friendly.
if you'd like more information or would like to suggest how we can improve any one of our process please do get in contact.
It is 2020. We all need to take responsibility and be part of positive change.
We should be all striving to be eco-friendly and to be positive contributing members of a better society.
Carbon Neutral, Recyclable and BioDegradeble
All our products are posted carbon neutrally and are packaged either fully biodegradeable packaging or fully recyclable materials from the tube all the way to the biodegradeable tape. Find out more below.
We've committed that all our products shipping will be recognised as carbon neutral as a result of the purchase of carbon offset credits to match the environmental impact.
- Our Cardboard Tubes are both made from recycled paper and are recyclable.
- Over 75% of plastic bottles and over 94% of all plastics in general end up in landfills. We've moved away from plastic bubble wrap and have rolled out biodegradable bubble wrap. The bubble wrap should biodegrade in any active microbial environment. (we are uncertain of the timeline of this and at this time it might not be appropriate for home compost)
- Made from a combination of corn-based biopolymers, the Compostable Mailer composts in 6 months (180 days) and is certified for both home and commercial compost.
- The ink on our tissue paper in our packaging is a kind of ink made from soybeans. As opposed to traditional petroleum-based ink, soy-based ink is more environmentally friendly and makes it easier to recycle paper.
We’re on a mission to eliminate single-use plastic from our workshop in 2020.
To do this we’ve opted in to a circular supply chain that replaces single-use plastic packaging with designed dispensers (made from plastic waste pulled from the sea) and refill sachets (made from recycled materials diverted from landfill).
As Cut Throat Knives takes its next big steps in 2020 we will be transitioning to full green energy.
Currently in Australia, most electricity comes from generators that burn coal. Only a small percentage comes from renewable sources such as the sun, wind, water and biomass waste.
But as consumers we can choose the amount of accredited green energy we'd like our provider to purchase on our behalf, going forward we will be opting for 100 per cent green energy for our electricity bill
Steel production is the biggest challenge going forward.
According to the World Steel Association, each tonne of steel produced results in roughly 1.83 tonnes of CO2.
Unfortunately commercialisation of a carbon free alternative to current production methods is not on the horizon for 10 to 20 years.
To this end we are in talks with our steel suppliers and will work towards carbon offsetting the impact of our products. While this is not the perfect solution we are committed to transitioning to green steel as the technology progresses and will continue having an open dialogue as the situation changes.